domingo, 19 de abril de 2015

I am leaving part of my heart in Africa…



This is it. My last days in Zavora. My last days in Mozambique and my last days in Africa for some unforeseeable time.

Me.
I had a lot of fun and a great experience. I am actually leaving here some good friends. I will miss everything, from the sea breeze and the sand that gets stuck everywhere to the routine of spraying yourself with anti-mosquito spray in the evenings and sleep under a mosquito net. I will miss the view from “my office”…looking at palm trees and every now and then catching a glimpse of a nice old lady laboring her land. 
View from "my office" window. Notice the gecko!

I will miss the long walks on the beach with the dogs doing turtle nest monitoring. Or sometimes just walking on the beach for the sake of it and getting your mind off things.

I will truly miss the geckos running around while I was doing my work in the office. I will miss this nature; the silence, no noisy city sounds but those of louries on the trees.

I will miss the freedom and happiness I feel I have here and you don’t get so easily. It’s a wild freedom.
I will miss walking around in flip flops or barefoot on the streets because you forgot the flip flops. I will miss the people here and the spontaneity of having everyone over or just calling them to have a braai five minutes later. Nobody that says no to meeting to eat together or says "ups, I can't I have too much to do."

Stairs to the sea...stairs to paradise.
But most of all I will miss the sea, which has been my working place for the past three months. Everything I did and everything I read about had something to do with this beautiful place that we know comparable so little about. The sea truly captivates. The infinite blue and the unknown are what fascinate me the most.
I came here to learn about underwater scientific methodology and I am leaving with a lot of practice and newly acquired knowledge. I am actually a nudibranch-enthusiast now and will keep my eyes open for these beautiful macro organisms on my next trips under water. 

But I not only learned about marine biology and helped practically to acquire some truthfully important and needed scientific and ecological data but had the feeling I was being a part of something good. Mozambique is still the most undeveloped country in Africa even though sometimes it might not seem so. Therefore, it needs help. Mozambique and its locals need (among other things) a better education system that allows for the people in the remote areas to be taught how to sustainably use the resources they get from the nature so they don’t overfish and kill the coral reefs and along the organisms that depend on them. By doing underwater clean ups, trying to eat non-endangered fish species and doing beach clean ups we can easily help a little bit, but it takes more people doing right to fight the wrong. 

The locals not being ecological are only a minor problem. The bigger problems lie in enterprises and countries that don’t wanna be reasonable about their un-ecological practices.

Mozambiquean flag.

Africa is a beautiful continent. Every time I leave I am leaving a different person. This time again, I have learned more about myself and what I wanna be/stay in three months than I learned in Europe in one year. Of course you need some western things now and then; you were raised in a western nation after all. But it is possible to adjust and definitely worth it. 
Small eye stingray I saw on one of my first dives to Rio Saiñas.
I left my heart in Africa long ago; I just didn’t know it…After three months here I realized, Africa is just another story. Maybe because humanity started here and you feel closer to your roots. I don’t know why. What I know is…Africa always calls me back and I will surely try to take the next call! 

By the way…on Wednesday (22.04.2015) is Earth’s day! If you don’t do EVERY DAY already, try at least on that day to make something nice for “mother earth”. Give food to some staring street dog, maybe plant a tree or water the plant (but not grass for golfing purposes!), save water when showering, etc etc. Without the nature we wouldn’t be here and if we don’t stop or mitigate our unsustainable consumption of natural resources we surely won’t be here much longer.

With this, it was really great remembering through the blog posts my long forgotten passion for writing. I hope you enjoyed to read as much as I did in writing.But most of all I am very grateful to the people that have been part of this wonderful experience. There are wonderful people down here and I hope I can one day show them how truly grateful I am to have met them.

So long and thanks for all the fish! ;)

So long and thanks for all the fish.



Traducción al español:

Esto es todo amigos. Ya llegaron los últimos días en Zavora, en Mozambique y en Africa por un tiempo largo.

[Yo.]

La experiencia que he pasado ha sido impresionante y no hay palabras para expresar el júbilo y la felicidad que he sentido. Echaré de menos todo, desde la suave brisa del mar y la arena entre tus pies hasta el tener que ponerte espray anti-mosquitos cada atardecer y dormir bajo una mosquitera. Echaré de menos mirar por la ventana mientras trabajo y ver palmeras y cada cuanto ver a una señora labrar su campo.

[Vistas desde mi pequeño espacio que consideré mi oficina.]

Echaré de menos los largos paseos por la playa patrullando con los perros. O simplemente para pensar o dejar divagar los pensamientos paseando.

Verdaderamente echaré de menos las salamandras intentando pillar cacho de las moscas y paseando por doquier, hasta por las paredes.

Echaré de menos la libertad y la felicidad que tengo, cuando si te olvidas ponerte las chanclas, no pasa nada, de todas formas son contra productivas la mayoría del tiempo. Echaré de menos la espontaneidad de tener a todo el mundo para hacer una barbacoa cinco minutos mas tarde…nadie que diga “uy no puedo…tengo mucho trabajo”.

[Escaleras al mar…escaleras al paraíso.]

Pero sobretodo echaré de menos el mar que ha sido mi verdadero sitio de trabajo estos pasados 3 meses. Todo lo que he hecho o leído ha tenido algo que ver con este magnífico ecosistema del que sabemos verdaderamente poco. El mar verdaderamente me captiva. El azul infinito y lo desconocido me apasiona. Vine a aprender sobre biología marina y método científicos bajo el agua y me voy sabiendo un montón sobre ello y como nueva entusiasta de nudibranquios. A partir de ahora mantendré los ojos abiertos por estos preciosos macro organismos.

No sólo aprendí mucho sobre biología marina y ecología sino que con mi trabajo recopilé datos científicos que me hacen sentir que fui parte de algo bueno. Mozambique sigue siendo el país menos desarrollando de África aunque a veces no lo parezca. Por eso necesita mucha ayuda. Necesita entre otras cosas un sistema educativo bueno que llegue también a la gente en areas remotas y que les enseñe a usar los recursos naturales de una forma ecológica y a no sobre pescar por ejemplo o pescar especies que no están protegidas. Haciendo limpiezas de playa, de debajo del agua, etc podemos ayudar un poquito, pero se necesita a más gente haciendo bien que el mal.

La gente local es más bien el menor problema. Las empresas y algunos países enormes que muchos ya conocemos y que no quieren escuchar nada sobre sus método poco ecológicos son los que tienen mayor repercusión en el ecosistema mar.

[Bandera mozambiqueña.]

Africa es un continente precioso. Cada vez que me voy me siendo una persona diferente. Esta vez, me voy habiendo aprendido más cosas sobre mí en tres meses de las que aprendí en un año en Europa. Me voy sabiendo un poco más quién soy y quien quiero ser o seguir siendo. Sería muy ilusa negando que habiendo crecido en un entorno europeo no me hace desear algunas cosas que no tengo aquí. Pero te acostumbras y sobre todo…merece la pena acostumbrarse a vivir con más simpleza.

[Raya que vi en una de mis primeras inmersiones al Rio Saiñas.]

Dejé parte de mi corazón en África hace mucho tiempo. A lo mejor porque esté es el lugar de nacimiento de la humanidad y como tal te encuentras más cerca de tus raíces. Vivir en Zavora me ha recordado mucho a mi niñez en casa de mis abuelos en pueblos de la España profunda. Esa libertad y felicidad que no se encuentra en la ciudad. No sé porqué me gusta tanto África, pero sé que siempre llama y la próxima vez que lo haga seguro que intentaré responder!

A todo esto, el miércoles (22.04.2015) es el “Día de la tierra”. Si no estáis haciendo algo por la tierra cada día ya, por lo menos este día haced algo que merezca la pena. Plantar un árbol, dar de comer a animales de calle, regar las plantas (que no césped para hacer golf), intentar usar menos agua en la ducha, etc…  “La madre naturaleza” os lo agradecerá; sin ella no estaríamos aquí y no lo estaremos por mucho más tiempo como sigamos sin mitigar nuestro consumo anti-ecológico de los recursos naturales.

Con esto que decir más que me ha encantado reencontrarme con mi pasión por la escritura gracias a escribir en este blog.  Espero que os haya gustado leer tanto como a mi me ha gustado escribir. Sobretodo le doy las gracias a todas las personas que de una forma u otra han sido partícipe de esta experiencia. Espero que algún día pueda verdaderamente mostrarles lo agradecida que estoy.

Hasta luego, y gracias por el pescado.

[Hasta luego y gracias por el pescado.]

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário